#76 Laugh Out Loud

I've heard it said many times that "laughter is the best medicine" but never really thought my life with chronic pain was much to laugh about. But a few years ago I was taking a language course with a group of very humorous people, and every week we had to meet to discuss different possible interpretations of translations we were doing. At the time I was suffering severe pain after my second car accident, my back fracture was unstable and I was pretty much invalid. But these people made me laugh. I remember lying on the couch in the classroom laughing so hard that my muscles were sore afterwards... and it didn't take long before I realized that I was taking way fewer pain killers.

Now I've heard about how laughter releases endorphins and reduces stress among many other health benefits. So apparently, you can laugh your way to pain relief... But since life with chronic pain isn't very funny, we might need some help... Welcome all clowns, comedians and cartoonists! And thank God that Dr. Kataria developed Laughter Yoga!!! (I haven't tried it yet... but I want to:)

2 comments:

  1. I dont know about laughter but I do know that complaining about what is happening to my body doesn't benefit anyone, least of all me.
    I am lucky to live in a wonderful country, with a wonderful family - everything else pales into insignificance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) That is so true Julie!

    ReplyDelete