#70 Put yourself first


I always used to hate to when my father told me that I needed to learn how to "prioritize". He told me that I couldn't do everything, and that sometimes choosing to do one thing would mean choosing to NOT do something else. I don't always agree with this, but in some cases it's true. I can't be two places at the same time (until I fix that cloning machine...) and I can't do anything for anyone else if I don't first take care of myself.

Many chronic pain patients are extremely generous, loving and caring people, who give freely of themselves and their time. Sometimes giving is easier than receiving, and we want to do so much, and be so much that we end up with no strength left for taking care of ourselves. We put our own needs last.

But... whichever way you look at it: You are the most important person in you life

Starting to put yourself first is not about being selfish, it's about respecting yourself and also others.  It's about recognizing your own needs and learning to fulfill them. Nobody else can do it for you. If you have health problems, you and your health should be your first priority, because if you don't take care of that, you won't be able to have any of the other stuff.

You are amazing. You are wonderful. You are valuable.

Show that by putting yourself and your body's needs first!

No comments:

Post a Comment