#264 Be well informed



In the jungle that is chronic pain treatment and information, where you may be unlucky enough to meet doctors who tell you it's all in your head, or buy books that take up your time without teaching you anything new, I have come across a golden nugget. This book, "Explain Pain" by David Butler and Lorimer Moseley, has begun a new era in my career as a chronic pain patient.

It was frigging expensive for a book, costing 74 US dollars, and I did thorough research before ordering it, but as it turns out this may be my best investment this year.

Well illustrated, accessible, superbly written, funny and informative. It beats all other pain books I've come across 10 times over. It manages something my doctors should have done years ago, which is to teach me what modern neuroscience has found out about pain sensation, explain why chronic pain hurts so much, exactly how it works and what I can do about it.

Wow. 74 dollars is less than what my meds used to cost for two weeks and less than a single acupuncture, chiropractor or massage treatment. I wish I'd read this book 15 yrs ago... or at least, ehem, 6 years ago when it was first published. So worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment