#192 Take a leap of faith


I believe we are in the process of complete paradigm shift in our understanding of the human body, and that this is changing modern medicine in a way that will dramatically improve health care all over the world.

I'm talking about our understanding of the mind-body connection and how we can use this for healing and preventing disease.

When I was first diagnosed with RA I had some new agey friends who introduced me to the concept of self healing. My first meeting with this system was very double. Though I was taken aback by the radical ideas of some people I met and also of things I read, the core message really made sense to me intuitively: The human body has the power to heal - I mean, we see this all the time with cuts, burns and fractures, why couldn't this also affect my arthritis?

My doctors told me this was not true, that my RA was chronic, would never go away, and that the best I could hope for was a temporary remission. They wanted me to take methotrexate (also used as cancer treatment - aka cell posion) for the rest of my life. And I was only 20!

I know now that the doctors were doing the best they could at the time, and they were trying to save me from needless suffering while also taking caution to protect their practice. But this difference of opinion meant that I had to follow a paralell healing path alongside my treatment in the medical system. I accepted the doctor's treatment, while also pursuing my own answers.

Because the next link in my reasoning was that if my body has the power to heal, there are probably things I could do and choices I could make to help it heal... I just didn't know what they were. 

This became my introduction into Mind-Body medicine. Entering the realm of Mind-Body medicine
was a big step for me, it meant opening myself to a whole new system of thought, where my rational and analytical mind really didn't take me very far. Things weren't connected by the same logic as they were in the rest of the world.

But.. what did I have to lose by questioning my current paradigm? It was saying that I could never get well!



What would it mean, if we as patients took a leap of faith and accepted that there are things we don't understand when it comes to our bodies and our healing processes... What could it lead to if we stepped into the unknown and opened our minds for completely new ways of healing?


Today's tip is to take a leap of faith into the unknown, and open ourselves to the possibility for miraculous, unexplainable healing.


"To dare is to lose your footing just for a moment. Not to dare is to lose yourself." - Søren Kirekegaard

--

This is the first in a series of posts featuring mind-body medicine. If you have thoughts to share on this topic, please feel free to comment or contact me on facebook or twitter!

2 comments:

  1. Are you familiar with Louise L. Hay? Her book, "You Can Heal Your Life," is an excellent guide to healing yourself. I recommend it to anyone suffering from any type of health issue, be it physical or mental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Candi:) I have read a little of Lousie L. Hay and love her positive and colorful books. Many of my friends have learned a lot from her! Did that book especially help you in your own healing journey?

    ReplyDelete