#94 Share Your Story


At certain points during my healing journey, it was difficult for me to share my feelings with friends and family. It was not that I did not want to be honest with my loved ones, but it was easier to protect myself by saying everything was fine. By then, I was tired of being the one left out, the one who could not do everything, the one who did not fit in that I hid my fears and struggles from everybody. While keeping my feelings bottled inside of me appeared to serve me in the moment, it hindered my overall recovery process. Not only was I holding onto the fear and pain, but I also did not realize how I was hurting my loved ones by being secretive.

If I can offer some advice to you, it would be to become a teacher to your support system. Let friends and family member know what is happening by sharing your story. Make sure they know that they can ask you any questions, and give them information to read on the condition so they have a better understanding of the disease and its progression. I learned during my own ordeal that having credible information is imperative. With knowledge, one becomes less fearful and more accepting and empathetic.

My wish is that other chronic pain survivors stop hiding from the anguish and stop feeling guilty and ashamed; instead, let those closest to you into your inner-circle. Allow them to share in this experience with you. Remember, it is okay to grieve and it is okay to your guard down. We are human, and I think asking for help shows just how strong we truly are. We all have a story to tell, and I would love to hear yours.

Believing in Miracles,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment