All you need is a soft natural brush: Stand in the shower before turning the water on, begin with extremities – feet first, brushing in a circular motion towards the heart while moving upward slowly toward the ankles, calves, thighs, stomach, hands and arms, then back (as much as you can reach), face, throat and neck.
The following text is copied from Dr. Moffats Natural Health Techniques:
Did You Know?
- The skin is the largest most important eliminative organ in the body and is responsible for one quarter of the body’s detoxification each day?
- The skin eliminates over one pound of waste acids each day in the average adult, most of it through the sweat glands?
- That the skin is known also as our third kidney?
- That the skin receives one third of all the blood circulated in the body?
- That the skin is the last to receive nutrients in the body, yet the first to show signs of imbalance or deficiency?
Detoxification is performed by a number of organs, glands, and transportation systems, including the skin, gut, kidneys, liver, lungs, lymphatic system, and mucous membranes. The dry brushing technique deals with detoxification of the skin.
Dry brushing is a way to stimulate all the above organs of detoxification because it provides a gentle internal massage.
Dry Brushing was recommended by the Finnish Dr. Paavo Airola for his patients 30 years ago and is still popular in European spas and many cancer treatment centers today. The Russians, Turks and Scandinavians have used this treatment for centuries. Dry brushing is promoted as a preventative for dry skin and a way to exfoliate the skin, thus stimulating skin renewal that is super soft to the touch, but there are many other benefits as well:
Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing Explained:
1. Removes cellulite
2. Cleanses the lymphatic system
3. Removes dead skin layers
4. Strengthens the immune system
5. Stimulates the hormone and oil-producing glands
6. Tightens the skin preventing premature aging
7. Tones the muscles
8. Stimulates circulation
9. Improves the function of the nervous system
10. Helps digestion
11. AND it’s easy, inexpensive and invigorating!