#13 Get some fresh air



Ok, I admit, the research for this entry got a little bit out of hand. Since I am in the mountains this week, and I really want to be a good Scandinavian, well...have you heard the old saying that "All Norwegians are born with skis on their feet"?

No? Well, that is a very well known saying hereabouts, and let me just say here and now that it is NOT TRUE!
I am Norwegian. I was NOT born with skis on my feet, and honestly, I have never been able to understand the fascination. Where does this crazy idea come from, that people should put planks on their feet and drag themselves outside in the snow to run on top of frozen cold fluffy stuff? It´s completely unnatural!

And then again... I´m here... at a ski resort. It´s very beautiful outside... And the skis I got for christmas some years ago that have been standing in their vacuumed plastic wrapping in the attic, were finally approached.

My swedish colleague and friend Siri, apparently thought that we could just "go skiing"... but she had to show me how to put the darned things on my feet. And she was very patient when it took me 10 minutes to hobble the 100 meters down the road (I only fell once!!!)

At first of course it was horribly hard, I was scared (of falling and hurting myself), brutally humbled and it was cold. Then when we hit the actual ski tracks, it got much better, and well.. what do you know... it was actually really beautiful.







My pain-reducing activity tip for today was supposed to be "get some fresh air" because of course that´s one of the good and simple things that helps chronic pain: just go outside, move, breathe fresh air, get some oxygen to your lungs, brain and muscles. I didn´t mean that you should run a marathon or go skiing or anything...

Now I understand that I´ve probably gone and caused more pain, at least some really sore muscles... but right now, fresh from outside, with rosy cheeks and a good tired feeling in my body, I still think it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment