First weekly challenge...

Since it's my very first pain-free challenge, I want to start out with something basic yet important.

Posture.

My posture affects my pain. It's somehow the very basis of how I use my body... my physical "setpoint" in a way. A good posture improves circulation and decreases stress on muscles, tendons and discs, thereby preventing muscloskeletal pain and stimulating overall health.

I have average-to-alright posture I guess, but I have a tendency to slump my neck and shoulders, and a tendency to favor my right side. The slumping neck and shoulders really provokes the neck pain from my whiplash injury, this is something I know, yet keep forgetting... It can set off really bad migraines, but if I just remember to straighten my neck and tuck in my chin, many of those can be avoided.

When I continually favor my right side, I place extra strain on my lumbar spine, by building unbalanced musculature there.

I don't really know if I'll be able to do anything about this in just a week, I guess I have to start with building awareness, and maybe having a signal that reminds me to check and correct my posture every hour or so? When I get into it I may be able to start doing some balance training that promotes good posture, but as a beginning I think I'm just going to challenge myself to improve my posture as much as possible as often as possible this week.

... And I'll let you know how it goes...

2 comments:

  1. Känner du till Alexanderteknik? Det är populärt här i England bland musiker och andra som arbetar med kroppen som redskap. Det är intressant i den meningen att man jobbar med medvetenhet innan en rörelse, riktning och får med hela kroppen i ett skönare mer arbete med kroppen istället för emot den. Berättar gärna mer . Bästa lycka med ditt nya år!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaaa, jag tänkte på Alexanderteknik när jag skrev om detta - har fått en grundläggande införing av en dam som kan jättemycket om det. Har du som musiker fått undervisning i det?

    ReplyDelete